Carbon Monoxide (CO) is a silent killer. CO is an invisible, odorless and tasteless gas created when fossil fuels, such as gasoline, wood, coal, propane, oil and methane, do not burn completely. Improperly maintained heating and cooking equipment are possible sources of carbon monoxide in the home. Carbon Monoxide detectors can be added to your existing alarm system, or included with a new installation.
Carbon monoxide is the leading cause of accidental poisoning deaths in America. Yet, many people do not know they are suffering from CO poisoning until it’s too late. That’s why a carbon monoxide detector is an excellent way to protect your family. It can detect the CO you cannot see, smell or test in the air.
CO replaces oxygen in the bloodstream and as more and more accumulates in the blood, suffocation occurs. Mild CO poisoning often appears like the flu, but more serious poisoning can lead to difficulty breathing and even death. Victims exposed to high levels of CO can become seriously ill or die in less than 15 minutes.
We at Allied Fire and Security are committed to helping you and your families stay safe. Use these tips to avoid the tragedy of CO poisoning.
While stand-alone non-monitored Carbon Monoxide detectors are a great addition to your home, more complete protection can be added by included a detector with your monitored home security system. Contact one of our security professionals in Portland, Seattle or Spokane with any questions you might have about carbon monoxide detection.
New Carbon Monoxide (CO) Detector Laws:
The states of Oregon and California recently joined 35 other states that have carbon monoxide laws that require detectors be placed in homes, dry care facilities, and apartments. To find out if your state requires carbon monoxide detectors, please click here.